Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Conditional cell background formatting, based on cell content

You could use:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("BE",A2)),TRUE,FALSE)
or more simply:
=ISNUMBER(FIND("BE",A2))

But with format|conditional formatting, you'll only get three colors (plus the
default color).

nosivad wrote:

Ok, so I need to use Excel to quickly indicate who owns a task by the
cells background color. I have 6 text values (peoples initials: e.g.
PM, UE, BE etc), that will appear in a cell with other text.

i.e.
BE – 4 hours work left on toe nail clipping task

How can I change a cells background color (and text too if possible)
based on text that might appear and apply this formula to the whole
sheet?

Conditional formatting only seems to apply to the text, and when I
tried to apply the example formula in Excel’s help file it wouldn’t
work. =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("BE",A2)),"TRUE", "FALSE")

I’m a bit of a noob, so sorry if the answer this seems obvious, but
this has been driving me crazy all day.

--
nosivad
nosivad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31434