Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default need help charting a time progression for investments

You want to show time along the horizontal axis and price along the
vertical. To make a line, you need two points, and each point requires an X
and a Y value, or in your case, a date and a price. So for BigCorp, your
data would be:

BigCorp1
10-21-04 9681.03
02-10-06 11108.07

Avoid the obsession with putting a header over every column, and leave the
cell above the dates blank. This helps Excel parse your data. Select the
range including the blank cell and name of the stock, and create a line
chart. Copy the next block of data:

Another1
10-21-04 7761.28
02-10-06 8914.30

Select the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add this data
as a new series. Repeat for any additional stocks.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Elwood" wrote in message
Here's the data that I have:

A B C D 1
Investments Initial current purchases
2 BigCorp1 9681.03 11108.07 10-21-04
3 Another1 7761.28 8914.30 10-21-04
4 Oboy1 5564.50 6789.10 2-5-05

What I need to show is, for each investment, to show the change (up or
down), and across the X-axis, to show the time passed. So, for
example, I can see that the person bought BigCorp1 on 10-21, and it's
grown n-amount, and they bought Oboy1 on 2-5, and it's grown n-amount,
etc.

Is there a way to do this in one chart? I'm lost as to what data
series(s) to select and how to set it up. Any help would really be
appreciated!

Thanks,