Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Vaughn

Default How do I enter (5) in Excel and read as text?

Just in case the other solutions don't work, try checking autocorrect
(tools/autocorrect) to make sure that someone hasn't told Office to change
(5) to (504). I tried entering (5) in Excel and just got a -5.

--
Kevin Vaughn

"jinxMN" wrote:

For an assignment, I'm to enter the text:

Swimming
Beginning (5)
Intermediate (5)
Advanced (5)

The number 5 in parentheses designates total times for the class.

When I try to insert (5) in the cell and hit "Enter", what it shows is (504))

Even when I've tried to format the cell, it does not allow me to enter (5)!

Any help would be appreciated.