Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sprint54

Default Values and Text in the Same Cell

In Lotus 1-2-3 I am able to enter the following in a cell (w/o quotes);
"1234; forecast was 4567". 123 treated the 1234 as a value so it could be
added, subtracted, etc. and ignored the rest but "forecast was 4567" was
still in the cell for future reference and was easier and less time consuming
than creating a cell comment. How do I do the same in Excel? When I enter
1234; forecast was 4567 I receive an error. The cell comment feature is to
time consuming when I have to enter new values but want to keep the original
value as a note for up to 100 individual entries each month.