Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

Default Formatting custom currency quirk

To get the blank before EN, I had to use 0 [$EN ], with a space before the
opening bracket.
Using XL 2003
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"jds217" wrote in
message ...

Hey all..

I have formatted a long list of numbers using a custom currency format
code. The funny thing is it seems to work correctly on many of the
numbers, and not quite correctly on others.

The code is -- 0[$EN ]

The resulting number looks like: 501 EN <-- with an extra space after
it.

(The numbers designate a particular test, and the "EN" tells us it's in
English. I took the "EN" out, so these would format as numbers and
could be sorted as such.)

I put the extra space in after the EN for cosmetic reasons. This
number is right-aligned, and the next column of data is left-aligned,
so this just makes a space between for readability.

Here's the issue -- Most numbers format with the extra space, but some
don't. I've applied the format globally to the whole column,
unformatted, reformatted, and get the same results.

It's not a big deal, we can live without the extra space, but I just
can't figure out why it's doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

John