Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

Default Formula to calculate number of days & ignore blank cells

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",IF(ISBLANK(B1),TODAY()-A1,B1-A1))
Try that. :)
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
Check out the NEWsgroup stats!
Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com

"Mifty" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've set up a spreadsheet for someone else that calculates the number of
days worked by temporary employees. When I initially set it up, I thought
just needed a column for start dates and a column for end dates, but the
person I have set it up for also wants a number of dates worked up to now
column.

I'm very new to this so realise that the way I have done it is probably
quite clumsy.

My original formula in C (days worked) was
=IF(OR(ISBLANK(A1),(ISBLANK(B1))),"",(B1-A1)) where A=start date and b=end
date. I used isblank so that C would remain empty if A and B were blank.

My problem is how do I amend this formula so that if I added an extra
column
(today's date) C(days worked) would say stay blank if A is empty if B(end
date) is empty calculate number of days worked so far but if B(end date)
has
a date then calculate how many day worked altogether.

Hope this isn't total gobbledygook.

Many thanks
Mifty

--