Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:29:04 -0800, "Intotao"
wrote:

How come, if I actually select the
cells, and then select format as time (12:34:57) it still retains this 'text'
formatting? Is it something associated with the spreadsheet itself?

Formatting (dates) only affects how the contents of the cell are displayed. It
does not change the contents of a cell, nor does it change text to a value.

When you enter a value that begins with a colon, Excel will interpret that
value as TEXT. Changing the format does NOT change Text to a number, date, or
time. It remains as TEXT.

Also when
you say 'Helper column', I'm sorry I'm afraid I don't understand, should I be
replacing the A1 value with the range of cells I want formatted or something?

Some unused column. And if your values are in, for example, B10:B100, you
would put the first formula in, for example, Z10 after changing the A1 to Z10.
Then copy/drag the formula down to Z100. Finaly, Copy the new range in the
"helper column" and do a Paste Special/Values over the original range.

Sorry to be such an idiot here, it just seems like it should be a little
easier than it is...kinda like life that way huh?

As in any new endeavor, once you understand the rules, it does become simple.
Before that, it can be confusing or even magical.

--ron