Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Link C://excel to H://excel

You can use formulas in the workbook on the C: that retrieve values from the
workbook on the H: drive.

If you open both, you can select a cell in a worksheet from the H: drive
workbook and edit|copy.

Then select a cell on a worksheet from the C: drive workbook.

Edit|paste special|Paste link

You'll see syntax you have to use to retrieve those values.

If you close the H: drive workbook, excel will adjust the formula to get the
data from the closed workbook on the H: drive.

ps. One hint: You may find yourself having better luck using the UNC path
instead of the mapped drive letter:

='\\server\folder\folder\[book1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1
instead of
='H:\folder\folder\[book1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

Jean wrote:

I work at a company that has offices in several different states, but we have
a common or public drive. Can I put an excel spreadsheet there, where our
other offices can use and update it, and link it so it updates a spreadsheet
on my C drive automatically or at least when I open it?
Jean

--

Dave Peterson