Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alec H

Default How do I create an automatic 'date last updated' reference?

I had a similar problem and Tom solved it for me in an earlier thread
with the following....

Hi,

Latest brainteaser,

I have a Excel 2000 pro workbook, in one of the spreadsheets I have
column (E) that uses a dropdown list (Data/Validation/List). I want

the
next column (F) to automatically show the date that the entry to

column
E was last changed or if there has been no change show a generic

start
date....

Is this possible?

--
Alec H

right click on the sheet tab and select view code. In the resulting
module
paste in code like this:

If Target.Column = 5 Then
Cells(Target.Row, 6).Value = Now
Cells(Target.Row, 6).NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm"
Target.Offset(0, 1).EntireColumn.AutoFit

You can run a onetime macro to fill any empty cells

Sub FillWithGeneric()
Set rng = Columns(5).SpecialCells(xlConstants)
For Each cell In rng
With cell.Offset(0, 1)
If IsEmpty(.Value) Then
.Value = DateValue("01/01/2006") + TimeValue("08:00")
.NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm"
End If
End With
Next