David McRitchie

Sure if this is only for use in the COBOL program multiply by 100 and
make formatting such as 00000
I think you want a fixed format.

What are you going to use for negative numbers, because that is
probably going to require more work on both sides though on your
part that might simply be a + or sign to the right of the number,
I think overpunches would be more complicated. Surprising that there
never was any provision for this in Excel.
---
HTH,

"E2engine" wrote
Well Chip, I can't say it is encouraging to hear from an Excel expert saying
it can't be done! So may I ask, if it cannot be done via formatting, is
there another approach I can take?

"Chip Pearson" wrote:
That will change the actual value of the cell, which is probably
not what the poster wants. You can't do what is asked with
formatting.

"N Harkawat" wrote ..
Go to Edit -- replace
Search for .(decimal)
replace (leave that emplty)

"E2engine" wrote in
message
I am trying to format numbers without decimal points! Sounds
easy, but is
not. For instance:

1.72 should appear as 172
14.26 should appear as 1426

I am told the reason the customer needs this format is because
they are
importing into a COBOL system and any separator kills the
process. I have
had no luck with this. Anyone have any ideas?