Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

Default using the equation of a polynomial

Given that equation (and I'm reading into it that x is inches, y is tons),
then to use the equation with the inches from cell A2, for example, the
formula would be =0.996 + A2 * 0.411 + 0.01232 * A2 * A2.

"Vince" wrote:

I input my data in column A = inches and B = tons. I then graphed it with an
X-Y graph and added a 2nd order Polynomial to it. The equation that is
displayed is

y=0.0123x2 + 0.411x + 0.996

I want to select an inch value and be able to calculate what the
corresponding ton value will be. Shouldn't I be able to apply the equation
above to do this? If 2 inches = 0.95 tons, what would 10 inches equal, or 50
inches. I need a math lesson!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince