Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sige

Default Basic Solver Problem

Ok Tushar.

Thanks for the clarification.

Best Regards, SIge

Tushar Mehta wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Hi Tushar,

Sure is true ... though this is just a simplified example!
There are other constraints on these items in my model, that I CAN
model in Solver ... though modelling the items to keep the relative
share beats me a bit.

Brgds Sige

None of the other constraints matter. The relative share requirement
trivializes the model to that of a single variable. The other constraints
can do nothing other than (a) make the solution infeasible, or (b) be non-
binding.

I'll repeat this one more time and then leave this discussion alone. By
keeping the relative shares constant, you have only one truly independent
variable. It's like writing

'by changing' variables: A1, A2, A3, ...
subject to A2=2*A1, A3=5*A1, etc.

Which means you can put in A2:An the formulas:

=2*A1
=5*A1

That will bring the 'by changing variables' down to A1.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions