Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Default Circular reference problem

Like I said, you can accomplish what you want with VBA if you're familiar with
that. You'd have to set it up to monitor when one cell is modified and then
copy the modification to the other sheet.

You'd need to use the Worksheet_Change event. Walkenbach describes it in his
book "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" if you have it, or if a local
library has it. It's on page 624 in my particular edition of the book.

Good luck...

Bill
-----------------------
R.Hocking wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts Bill - I know what you're saying about avoiding
circular refs. I think in this case they would be ok, however. The
scenario is that I have on one sheet a list of 810 individual items.
These items are stored in 10 drawers of 9x9. Hence Sheet1 is the whole
list, then I have a further 10 sheets to represent the layout and
contents of each drawer. When an item is removed / altered I would
normally enter this in the Sheet1 list, so all is fine. I just wondered
if, on the odd occasion if I altered it in one of the other sheets, if I
could get Excel to effectively do the reverse and update the Sheet1 ref!
there are no real formulas, just an ='Sheet1'!$E2 type formula in each
cell of sheets 2 to10. Pretty much a glorified filing system really!