Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Rounding Question

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 06:56:55 -0800, wrote:

Does anyone know if the format function ("Format/Number with x number of
decimal places) happens to conform with ASTM E29 for the last right-hand
digit...???

Thanks

Paul

Format function? Are you talking about the VBA Format function?

If so, it does not, as I understand you. The Format function returns a string
of digits rounded according to the format expression. The rounding is done in
the same method as the Format Cells dialog in Excel.

Of course, the Format function actually changes the value. Whereas the Format
Cells dialog only changes how the value is displayed.

The VBA Round Function in VBA6+ does conform to the standard, as far as I know.
It rounds the midway numbers to the nearest even number.

--ron