Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

Default Disable auto-formatting dates.... GRRR!

In article .com,
wrote:

I have even tried to create a new "book.xlt" and put it in the
App/MSO2004/Startup/Excel directory with all fields set as "Text"
instead of "General" and it works great as long as I start with a blank
SS, but if I go to "Open" my file, it still converts that darn date
field.

If you open it using the Text import wizard (or choose Data/Get External
Data/Import Text file...), the third pane of the wizard's dialog allows
you to set any field to Text.