Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Disable auto-formatting dates.... GRRR!

I have a large tab delimited file that I am opening in Word, it has two
date cells that are for dates, but they are in format YYYY-MM-DD
HH:MM:SS, and everytime I open it in Excel, it converts those fields to
dates, I need them to stay in their current format (text).

When I highlight the field and change it back to text, it converts all
the dates to a crazy number. I can't find the option anywhere to
turn-off "auto-date"...

I have even tried to create a new "book.xlt" and put it in the
App/MSO2004/Startup/Excel directory with all fields set as "Text"
instead of "General" and it works great as long as I start with a blank
SS, but if I go to "Open" my file, it still converts that darn date
field.

HELP!