Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KMH

Default HELP - Excel 2003 VERY SLOW vs 2002

I have an Excel spreadsheet which I would describe as non tirivial but not
too elaborate either that runs fine in Excel 2002 but becomes unbearably slow
doing the simplest of tasks in 2003. Example, opening / closing row groups
can take 30-90 seconds or more in 2003 versus <2 seconds in 2002 for the same
exact spreadsheet. This is a master template that we teach many others to
use so it must run on all machines running 2002 and 2003 - besides newer
Office versions are supposed to be faster not slower RIGHT? So please HELP !

Background...
The bulk of the spreadsheet is in a single worksheet that is 60 columns x
2000 rows (~4MB total file size) . There are some OFFSET functions located
within the main spreadsheet and a few on a secondary sheet. I also have cell
drop down menus and conditional formatting used sporadically throughout (~100
cell menus / column and maybe the same for conditional formatting). I have
the problem in Excel 2003 with a version that has simple GoTo macros or
doesn't have macros on, enabled, disabled or deleted entirely. I refuse to
turn Auto Calculation off because that is asking for trouble with people
using bad results. HELP !