Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Default Blank (empty) cell always equal to 0??

why add another column, when you can just replace " " with NA()?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I'd add another column and use a formula like:

=if(b2="",na(),b2)
then use that column in the chart.

ulfah wrote:

Is it possible to have Excel read an empty cell as "no value" rather
than the value=0?
I have a graph and corresponding range with values and somtimes cells
in this range should be read as a "blank" cell! Resulting in *-no
point-* in the graph.
Assume that I have, in cell C5, the following function:
IF(AND(ISNUMBER($A5);ISNUMBER($B$4));$A5*$B$4;" ").
If, in cell A5, I have "-" (a dash) = no value (no reading), this will
result in C5 being a Blank cell, due to the " " in the IF-function.
C5 is copied and pasted into the range connected to my graph. I want it
to result in no point in the graph!
But the graph is reading this cell as if the value was 0.0!
Is there a way to avoid this??
Your help is very much appreciated.

--
ulfah