xlbo

Hi - whilst you can only nesti 7 IF statements, you CAN do this by NOT
nesting eg if your IF statement with nesting was like this:

=IF(A1=1,2,if(A1=2,3 etc etc etc
this can also be written as:

=IF(A1=1,2,"") & IF(A1=2,3,"") & IF(A1 etc etc etc

to return a VALUE, you would need to enclose the above with VALUE() eg

=VALUE(IF(A1=1,2,"") & IF(A1=2,3,"") & IF(A1=3,4,""))

This type of formula has no limit to the number of functions but IS
restricted by the length of text a formula can hold (but you should be ok
here)

However, this type of formula is inefficient and from what you describe, you
may be better off investigating VLOOKUP or a combination of INDEX / MATCH

HTH
Rgds
Geoff

"Jenny" wrote:

Help, anyone?
I am trying to nest 18 x IF functions to automatically pick up a text value
for a numeric result. I have ranked 18 x actual values in 3 x cell in a
column for my top 3 x performers (value of sales). what I now want to do is
on the next row have the name of that person appear under that specific
ranking number according to the actual sales (so I don't need to scroll up to
see who produced that value). Nesting only allows me 7 x IF's. Help anyone
???