Ken Wright

Damned web newsreader cutting off the title. Now I've blown it up I can get
the gist of what you were looking for, but I'm struggling to understand what
you see as different. Nesting functions is simply a case of replacing
arguments within one one function with another function as opposed to a
hard-wired piece of data, eg:-

=IF(A1=0,0,IF(B1=0,0,IF(C1=0,0,B1/C1)))
=SUM(OFFSET(A1,,,3))
=VLOOKUP(MATCH(G1,I1:M1,0),D1:E10,2,0)

and there are numerous examples on this site alone.

As far as help within Excel, I'm at work so can only try in XP but just
throwing in the text 'nesting functions' in help brings up the following:-

About nesting functions within functions
In certain cases, you may need to use a function as one of the arguments of
another function. For example, the following formula uses a nested AVERAGE
function and compares the result with the value 50.

Valid returns
When a nested function is used as an argument, it must return the same type
of value that the argument uses. For example, if the argument returns a TRUE
or FALSE value, then the nested function must return a TRUE or FALSE. If it
doesn't, Microsoft Excel displays a #VALUE! error value.

Nesting level limits
A formula can contain up to seven levels of nested functions. When Function
B is used as an argument in Function A, Function B is a second-level
function. For instance, the AVERAGE function and the SUM function are both
second-level functions because they are arguments of the IF function. A
function nested within the AVERAGE function would be a third-level function,
and so on.

--------------------------------

If you have something specific you are trying to do then post thedetails and
we can try and walk you through it.

2003 is a vast improvement over the early versions of Excel.

Regards

"Robert AS" wrote:

There seems to be no way I can find to next functions in 2003 excel basic
like I could in excel 95. Had I of knowen that I wouldn't of spent the money
for it...(gee Micro soft thanks alot).....anyway what should I do now
becvause I really need that option???

I have both disks....about all I can come up wit is just remove office 2003
and reinstall 95....is there any thing else I can do to get that option back
in the excel cells????