Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Default changing text case

Hi Linda,
To install a macro posted in the newsgroup see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#havemacro

Some additional macros pertaining to your question
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

For the worksheet formulas they were pictured well on Anne's page
so I don't understand the problem with them. Column A is the
original data, and Column B is the helper column where you will
type in the formulas as shown, what you actually will see in Column B
is depicted in Column C. After putting the formula into B1 you
would use the fill handle to the formula down.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
If you see your formula in column B instead of the result, check that
1) you don't have a space in front of the formula
2) you do *not* have the formula view checked in
tools, options, view(tab), (uncheck) formula view
3) that you have automatic calculation turned on --
tools, options, calculation (tab), calculation: automatic

But macro solutions or the addin with a selection would be faster than
using worksheet formulas so I really would not that method; however,
it is important that you understand the use of the formulas, and the
fill handle, so go through the exercise of using the formulas you asked for.

HTH,

"Linda B" wrote in message ...
Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
years but only on the very basic functions. i.e. name & address databases or
lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.

thanks.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this

Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
Dim oRegExp As Object
Dim oMatch As Object
Dim oAllMatches As Object

para = LCase(para)
Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
oRegExp.Global = True
Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
With oMatch
Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
End With
Next oMatch
SentenceCase = para
End Function

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Linda B" wrote in message
Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?

Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.