Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
B. R.Ramachandran

Default Sortng Problem with capitals

Hi,

Let's suppose that the data are in A2. Create a helper column (say B or
so), with the following formula in row 2 (i.e., B2 or so) and autofill down
to the last row.

=IF(EXACT(A3,UPPER(A3)),ROW(A1),COUNTA(A:A)+ROW(A1 ))

Now select the entire range including the helper column and sort by the
helper column ascending (or descending). Records with all caps format will
bunch up first(or last).

PS: If you do a presort of column A before doing the above, the all-caps
records would be arranged alphabetically.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Kal321" wrote:

Hi.
I posted this last week to the wrong group I think so appologies for the
cross post. Anyway the problem is:

I have a very large amount of data extracted from an external db of which
some entrys are all caps, and the majority of records are caps and lower
case. I want to sort so that the caps records are either all first, or all
last so that I can then go back into the external db, and correct those
records. It would be possible to go through this manually but that would take
a very long time to complete as currently it stands at six workbooks with
2000+ pages in each. I have tried using the case sensative option under the
data search but this doesnt seem to have any effect.
Anyone got any suggestions as to how to resolve this?
Thanks in advance
All the records are in English, and despite using teh