John Perkins

Default Linked values turn to #REF! after clicking don't update

I have an excel spreadsheet that has linked values in it. I do not have
access to the source files. However when I open the document, I can see that
excel has filled in values for all of the cells. Then I immediately get the
"Do you want to update the links?" dialog. I click don't update hoping to
keep the values that I see. As soon as I click don't update, all the cells
turn to #REF!.

Excel knows what the values are that I want, they're there somewhere. But
how do I get them back?

Thanks.