Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam via OfficeKB.com

Default Return SEARCHED Column Number of Numeric Label and Value

Hi Domenic,

Thank you so much for reply.

Unfortunately, I can confuse the issue without even trying! I forget my own
"Method" for searching for the Numeric Labels and returning the Column Number
for the Numeric Value - forgot to increment the value by one when looking
where the Numeric Label and Numeric Value should be placed in the Rows.

However, I think I'm with it now - well almost!

But according to your last post, the correct results should be...

Criteria ---------- Should Be

1 ---------- Column 3

4 ---------- Column 3

6 ---------- Column 3

Is this correct?

Yes

And just to be sure, let's go through a few more examples using the values in your last post...

Criteria ---------- Result

1 ---------- Column 14 Should be Column 2

7 ---------- Column 11

4 ---------- Column 6

3 ---------- Column 5

12 ---------- Column 11

Are these correct?

Almost, Numeric Label 1(one) should be Column 2

Now, let's replace 5 with 14, and 12 with 5.
If the criteria is 5, is Column 7 the correct answer?

Not sure what you mean?

And lastly, if the criteria is 0, what should the correct answer be?

Column Number 1.

Based on the Sample Data Column Number 1 (because it is already in Column
Number 1 and has the highest Numeric Value, so it will stay in Column number
1 - nowhere else for it to move). But criteria 0 (Numeric Label 0) may not
always be in Column Number 1, it could be in Column Number 2 or 3 etc and its
Numeric Value will decide what Column Number it moves to - like other
criteria (Numeric Label). Criteria 0 (Numeric Label 0) is the first Numeric
Label in ascending order.

Cheers,
Sam

Domenic wrote:
Hi Sam!

No apologies necessary. It looks like we're not in the same
wavelength... :)

When I gave you some sample criteria, along with what I thought would be
the correct result, you confirmed them to be correct. But, according to
your last example, this would not be the case.

I provided the following example where the first six columns had the
following Numeric Labels and corresponding Numeric Values...

0 2 1 4 6 12
16 12 10 10 10 7

...and where the criteria and results were as follows...

Criteria ---------- Result

1 ---------- Column 3

4 ---------- Column 4

6 ---------- Column 5

But according to your last post, the correct results should be...

Criteria ---------- Should Be

1 ---------- Column 3

4 ---------- Column 3

6 ---------- Column 3

Is this correct? And just to be sure, let's go through a few more
examples using the values in your last post...

Criteria ---------- Result

1 ---------- Column 14

7 ---------- Column 11

4 ---------- Column 6

3 ---------- Column 5

12 ---------- Column 11

Are these correct? Now, let's replace 5 with 14, and 12 with 5. If the
criteria is 5, is Column 7 the correct answer? And lastly, if the
criteria is 0, what should the correct answer be?

Hi Domenic,

[quoted text clipped - 120 lines]
Cheers,
Sam