Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default conditional formula to show "open" or "closed"

If the cells are both numeric and nominally equal

Nominally equal ?

I didn't know that equality had a gray area! <g

Biff

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote in message
=G6=C6
is not sufficient to test for equality of floating point numbers; you need
=(G6-C6)=0
where the parentheses are critical; otherwise equality may be declared
dispite differences in the lowest order bits. There can be differences
that
Excel will not display, given MS's decision not to display more than 15
significant digits.

If the cells are both numeric and nominally equal (but not equal per this
test), the OP should try either rounding both in his formula or testing
for a
suitably small difference.

Jerry

"Biff" wrote:

Ok, start troubleshooting.........

Try these formulas:

=G6=C6
=ISNUMBER(G6)
=ISNUMBER(C6)
=LEN(G6)
=LEN(C6)

If G6=C6 and BOTH are numeric numbers the results of the first 3 formulas
should be TRUE. The results of the last 2 formulas should be identical.

Biff

"SBS" wrote in message
Thank you JMB and Bif,

Whether I enter a non-equal or an equal number into G6, I only get the
"open" message. If the formula was working, I would expect to see a
change
in
the A1 message (either open or closed) depending upon the actual number
entered into G6. I have checked that the cells are formated as number
instead
of text but my results still do not work.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

One way:

=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(G6),G6=C6),"Closed","Open")

so far I have a non-working formula:
=IF(g6=C6,"closed","open")

If G6=C6 and your formula does not work it's possible that your
numbers
are
not numbers but are TEXT.

Biff

"SBS" wrote in message
I have been able to do a formula that provides a random number in a
cell
(C6). Upon entering a matching number in another cell (G6), I want
have
message ("closed") appear in yet another cell (A1) or if a
non-matching
number is entered the message in cell (A1) would be ("open").

Am new to formulas and have not been able to figure out what to do
from
the
office help instructions.