John

Thanks, you've been a big help!
It seems to calculate everything that I need.
"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message
First, I think I'd recommend a Pivot Table

rather than functions.

However, you could use

=SUMPRODUCT(B1:B1000,--(C1:C1000="AppDev"),--(D1:D1000="Active"))

For an explanation of the -- operators, see

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html

In article ,
"John" <john(dot)cole(at)co(dot)riverside(dot)ca(dot)us wrote:

I'm looking for a formula to Sum a column based on criteria from two
other
columns.

I have five columns: Project Name, Actual Cost, Division, Phase.

I want to write a formula to Sum the Actual Cost of the projects per
division, per phase. For instance, I want to know the "Total Actual
Cost"
for all projects in the AppDev division that are active.

I've tried using the Sum and SumIf functions, but can't quite see to find
the right combination.
Could someone assist me in writing a formula to do this?

Thanks,
John