Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GStrawley

Default How to format cells to recognize numbers like 1.1.1?

Hello,

This seems similar to Jaffo's problem of today, but a little
different.

I am entering some numbers as part of a decimal classification scheme
similar to the version numbers used in computer programs or the
chapters and subchapters in some books and reports. It is in the form
of "1.1.1, 1.1.2 ...."

I am trying to get Excel to recognize this format as numbers rather
than text so that numbers like 1.1.10 are sorted in the proper sequence
and go after 1.1.9. I tried entering "#.#.#" and even "##.##.##" in the
Format Cells - Special box, but nothing changed when I pasted the
numbers into the cells.

Is there a way of doing this or will I need to parse this
classification number into separate Excel columns?

Thanks,

George

--
GStrawley