Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Default Scenario?

Play with a smaller set of data and see if that works.
If so we can try to work out something
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"simmerdown" wrote in message
I really appreciate your help.

After inputting the information as described, once I hit "solver" I
receive
a message that says "too many adjustable cells".

Any thoughts?

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Assuming your numbers are in A1:A3000
In B1:B3000 enter 1
C1 =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3000, B1:B3000), C2 = Y (your target), C3 = ABS(C1-C2)

In Solver
Changing cells B1:B3000
Constraints C3=0 and B1:B3000 bin (binary - i.e. 0 or 1)
Solve

Does it work with your data?

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"simmerdown" wrote in message
No, I don't care. At least that would narrow down the field, then I
could
take it from there.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

You could do this with Solver but with 3000 number, it is unlikely
that
there is a unique solution.
Do you care?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"simmerdown" wrote in message
I have a list of numbers (approximately 3000) that sum to X.
However,
my
control figure is Y.

Is there a formula that will evaluate the list of 3000 numbers and
return
those that when summed, equal the difference between X and Y?