Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. A. McClelland

Default can vlookup place results in a different box than the formula?

P:

If the issue you are trying to avoid is just the nagging box to update the
link, just break the link BEFORE you send the sheet.

1. With the sheet to be copied open, copy the sheet:
a. Right-click on the sheet TAB and select "Move or Copy..."
b. Check "Create a Copy" and select To Book: (new book).

That will create a new workbook with the desired spreadsheet.

2. Save the new workbook.
3. Now break the links to the old workbook.
a. From the menu, select Edit, Lnks...
b. Select the source link.
c. Click on Break Link, Break Links, Close.

Voila! Breaking the link(s) does NOT affect the cell value. The formula
containing the link is replaced with the last known value, which is, I
believe, exactly what you want.

4. Send the new workbook as an attachment.
a. From the menu, select Send To, Recipient (as attachment).

If you are NOT using Excel 2003, download and install Findlink.xla by Excel
MVP Bill Manville to find and break the links before sending.

HTH,

=Mac=

L. A. McClelland

"Psychlogic" wrote in message
If i write a vlookup formula in cell F1, can I somehow have the result
show
up in f2. Also, can I have the result be a value. My need is to generate
monthly reports based on a separate Excel file and send them to someone.
When you separate the report from the original file, "help" pops up asking
if
you want to update the file and that is a nusisance.

If possible, please reply to

thanks