Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Default can vlookup place results in a different box than the formula?

Well, you're right. I found the toolbar button under edit when I went to
customize. However, I have now tried copying it to two different toolbars,
and in both cases, it starts out looking like it will work, but when I close
customize, the button is grayed, and does not work when I click it.

I just now tried quitting excel and then restarting and it is still greyed
out. Looks like a pretty useful button, but it is not working for me.

--
Kevin Vaughn

"Biff" wrote:

There's a toolbar button for this. Looks like a clipboard with the number 12
on it.

Biff

"Kevin Vaughn" wrote in message
First, you would need a formula in F2 (or use VBA) to have results show up
in
F2, for instance =F1
Second, you can change the vlookup formulas to values by doing copy
pastespecial values (you can do this in place.)

You are probably not looking for a VBA solution for the copy pastespecial
values, but I do this so often that I recorded a macro and then made some
very slight changes. Code follows: (actually now that I look at it, I
probably did not modify it after recording it.)

Sub PasteVal()
'
' PasteVal Macro
' Macro recorded 12/19/2005 by kevinv
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+V
'
Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=
_
False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveCell.Select

Kevin Vaughn

"Psychlogic" wrote:

If i write a vlookup formula in cell F1, can I somehow have the result
show
up in f2. Also, can I have the result be a value. My need is to
generate
monthly reports based on a separate Excel file and send them to someone.
When you separate the report from the original file, "help" pops up
asking if
you want to update the file and that is a nusisance.

If possible, please reply to

thanks