Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shams

Default Incorporating Vlookup in a IF Statement

I tried to incorporate your suggestion in my formula. It just ends up
returning the $$ figure. Rather, I want it to return the text string that I
am specifying: "To be allocated". So, this is what I did:

Assume Table 1 is in Sheet 1 (Tckt # in A1) and Table 2 is in Sheet 2. So:

=if(isna(vlookup(A1, Sheet2!A:B,2,false)), "To be allocated",vlookup(A1,
Sheet2!A:B,2,false))

Using the above formula, I am getting the $$ figure thus confirming that
vlookup found the value. I want it to go one step further....i.e. evaluate
it and if it finds the number then print "To be allocated".

Am I asking for something needlessly complicated? Thanks.

Shams.

"bpeltzer" wrote:

In general: if(isna(vlookup(...)),"missing",vlookup())
The vlookup is just like normal, something like vlookup(a1,Sheet2!a:b,2,false)

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
I have the following 2 tables:

Table 1:

Ticket # Gross Fare

2262945423 $628.24
2262945413 $1,029.16
2262945419 $1,029.16
2262945420 $1,029.16
2262945424 $1,029.16
2262945414 $2,815.11

Table 2:

Tckt# Gross Fare

2262945413 $1,029.16
2262945414 $2,815.11
2262945419 $1,029.16
2262945420 $1,029.16
2262945421 $2,892.40
2262945422 $2,892.40
2262945423 $628.24
2262945424 $1,029.16
2262945503 $908.84
2262945504 $2,887.05
2262945505 $2,588.91
2262945506 $1,029.16
2262945548 $2,588.91
2262945557 $55.10

Can I use a If statement to do a vlookup based on Tckt # in Table 1 and
search for it in Table 2 and if it finds the number in Table 2 then return
the following statement: " Not allocated - To be done".

I know that I can break out the function in two distinct processes but it
would be more efficient if I could consolidate them in one function. I will
appreciate any suggestions on this issue. Thank you.

Regards,
Shams.