Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PancakeBatter

Default Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

Hi Irene-

Is the "E" in Edit underlined in the Menu Bar? This is an option.

Right click on the Menu Bar, left click on Customize at the bottom of the
context menu. Right click on the "Edit" on Menu Bar. Look at field "Name".
It should read "&Edit".

Hope this helps.

PB

"Irene Pai" wrote:

Hello,
About a week ago I suddenly started having the problem where pressing the
<ALT <E keys does not automatically drop down the Excel Edit menu. The
Edit menu item is highlighted, but unless I use my mouse or hit the "Down"
key, I cannot enter any keyboard shortcuts referred to on the Edit menu. This
happens only on the Edit menu. For all other menus, File, Tools, Data, etc.
the <ALTkey followed by <F,<T, or <D, respectively, continues to pull
down the bar for the
menu item. Note: the same problems exists if I use </<F vs </</E. The
front slash E doesn't drop down while the front slash F does drop down.

Appreciate any suggestions, as this is extremely frustrating! Below is the
version I'm on and what I've tried. Thanks!!

VERSION:
I am on MS Excel 2003 and have been using it without issue for 1+ years.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED (without success):
(1) uninstalling Excel and reinstalling
(2) deleting book.xlt
(3) repairing Excel
(4) various transition key settings under Tools/Options
(5) Resetting menu and toolbar usage data (which is really irrelevant anyway).