Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin

Default Referencing a Value in variable length columns.

Thanks Guys, nailed down the problem...

Seems that because the Date field also has the Time attached, it is not
picking up the Date as an actual date, resulting in the Zero value.

I'll tinker and see if there is a way to seperate the date and time into
seperate columns and into a format that Excel recognizes as a proper date and
time.

Thanks for the assistance, it really helped out and I learned something new.

Cheers,
Kevin

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

That means that the value is zero but you are using date format, if you
change the format to general it will be zero,
note that blank cells are also seen as zero by excel so if the latest date
corresponds to an empty cell that would explain the result although you
might had applied it incorrectly

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

I tried the function below, and it returns a value of "00/01/1900"

A couple things I was wondering if they may be the cause:
1) The column being referenced houses the date in the following format:
01/03/2006 16:00:00

2) The first row contains header text (Although I tried adjusting the
range
to where the date starts, and it returns the same result)

3) There are a number of blank cells throughout the range (All celss are
date formatted however)

Thanks again!
Kevin

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

The date would be

=MAX($A$1:$A$1000)

the value in say column D corresponding to that would be

=INDEX($D$1:$D$1000,MATCH(MAX($A$1:$A$1000),$A$1:$ A$1000,0))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi All, I apologize if this is not the right place, I believe this
falls
under teh category if worksheet functions;

I have a SS I would like to reference a cell in a column which changes
in
length. In this case, I would like to reference the most current date
in
column.

Is there a simple method for doing this, as the data will routinely be
different lengths in that column.

Further, there is Data on the Horizontal that I would like to reference
another cell in another sheet that would correspond to this date. Can
anyone
give any suggestions as to the best way to accomdate this?

Thank you for any suggestions and taking the time to read.

Regards,
Kevin