Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bri

Default Ranking a list

Thank you, Domenic

There is a small concern left that I didn't mention in my original post.
The formula you gave is to be copied down a table that has 30 rows. Your
formula works perfectly, but it 'ties' all the blank cells for 1st, then
ranks the remaining cells properly as requested, starting at 2nd. I was
hoping to rank cells with values including 0.0000, but NOT RANK any cells
that are blank. Is there a fix?

bty, the exact same thing happens in the solution posed bu Peo.

Thankyou, Bri

"Domenic" wrote in message
Assuming that A1:A5 contains your score...

B1, copied down:

=SUM(IF(A1<$A$1:$A$5,1/COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,$A$1:$A$5)))+1

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Bri" wrote:

Hi

I have a list of values that I need to rank in descending order. Usually
the RANK function is OK, but here is my problem. I need the list to use
'generous' rules. If there is a tie for 2nd, lets say, then I need the
next
place to be 3rd, NOT 4th as the RANK function does.

eg
Scores Rank(correct) Rank(wrong)
14.04 1 1
12.665 2 2
12.665 2 2
11.725 3 4
0.000 4 5

Any ideas how I can deal with this situation?

Thanks in advance
Bri