Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rebecca

Default #NAME? Problem

They can't be removed because they are part of the "words." This might be a
useful feature in Office 12, namely, you can turn off the calculation
function for words that have a minus, plus, etc., sign in front of them,
though such cases will be rare, of course. My two cents.

"Damon Longworth" wrote:

Edit the cell and remove the +.

Excel thinks you are trying to enter a formula.

--
Damon Longworth

2006 East Coast Excel User Conference
April 19/21st, 2006
Holiday Inn, Boardwalk
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Early Bird Registration Now Open!!
www.ExcelUserConference.com

2006 UK Excel User Conference
Summer, 2006
London, England
"Rebecca" wrote in message
Thanks, Paul, but that doesn't work either. I'm at a loss here.

"paul" wrote:

you may have to pre format a new column as text,copy and paste your data
into
that,make sure the original cells are formatted for text and copy back
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Thanks, but I already tried that. They still appear on screen as
#NAME?.

"beechum1" wrote:

You would like the text to show exactly as entered. Select your
range,
cell or cells, and right click, format, select the number tab, and
select text. This will display the text as

+OWBI71YM

Jeremy

--
beechum1