Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Default Use of Indirect function to fetch data from another Excel file

=Indirect() won't work with a closed workbook.

Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
workbook.

You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
Look for pull.zip

Boon8888 wrote:

Hi, my title probably explains it all. I'm having trouble getting the
indirect function to fetch data from another Excel file when the path
is given in another cell.

Basically I have column in my spreadsheet that computes the path and
desired cell of another Excel file of which to grab the data from.

So say column B has a whole bunch of cells that have *values* like:

'\\server\folder1\[example.xls]sheet1'!C7

--

Dave Peterson