Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Starchaser

Default 2 Nesting questions

Darkwood - Here is an actual entry that needs to be converted from one
cell to 6: Beaulieu Laurette A. (Bryant) "Laurie" i.e. Last name, first
name, middle name, maiden name, and nickname. However some of the
entries are men and thus have no maiden name, lots have no initial
and/or nickname, and sometimes the order of maiden and nick names are
reversed. Thus a simple transfer using delimiters is not possible, and
I have more than 1500 entries to do.

Kleev - I too have used that method of copying and Pete's method of the
apostrophe to see the formulae written out. It is time consuming, but
if the only way in Excel.... Here is an instance of swearing at MS.
In Lotus, one can have a formulae in cell A1 and "+A1" in cell B1 which
is formatted for Text. One only has to input the formulae into A1 and
it appears in Text form in B2 - a wonderful feature when doing this
kind of work as it requires no steps.

Pete - I have used the ampersand method of combining text, but it
doesn't allow for embedding one formulae INTO the arguments of another
formulae. For that I guess I will have to use the copy-paste as you
say.

One of the things that the Nesting macro I used in Lotus did was to
grab the formula in one cell and replace that address in the arguments
of another formula. Example: In cell A1 =find(), and in cell b1
=left(c3,a1) Then the nesting macro would create this =left(c3,find()).
Unfortunately, I don't know the commands and formulae terms in Excel
well enough to just substitute at the moment or I would rewrite it for
Excel. And, swears he, Excel does not translate Lotus well. If anyone
does know the commands and formulae well, I'd be glad to send you a
copy of the Lotus macro.

Anyway, you have both given me good ideas and I will plug along.
Thanks

--
Starchaser
Starchaser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30649