Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Default Finding/deleting duplicates and merging cells

Hi all

A colleague of mine has a large worksheet with data on it that has been
imported from another application into columns A and B in Excel. Column A,
for argument's sake, contains a cost centre number and Column B contains text
relating to that cost centre number. The text in column B isn't imported into
one cell, it is spread over several rows - one line of text per row. Because
of this, the information in Column A is duplicated for the same number of
rows. For example:-

A B

1 cc 1001 This cost centre number
2 cc 1001 is for Region 2 and
3 cc 1001 was introduced September 05
4 cc 1001 to be used until further notice.

This is what they need to do............. Remove the duplicate information
in Column A (rows 2-4) and merge the information n B1:B4 into one cell.

I realise we can go through and do this manually by simply deleting the
cells etc but can anybody advise me of an easier way to do this? Otherwise,
it will take hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise