Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
perky2go

Default match/index using multiple values

I found a few earlier posts, but I get error msgs when I try any of the
formulas suggested. I'm trying to use the values in 2 or 3 cells to match to
the values in 2 or 3 columns to return a single value from another column.
In my ex. below, I want to return count from the last column that matches the
program value in A1 ("ProgramA", the date value in A2 and the value of
"Denied"--so B2 would be 12. The number of rows in my lookup (D:G will vary).

A B C D E F G
ProgramA Total ProgramA Approved 4/1/04 25
6/1/04 ProgramB Approved 6/1/04 326
ProgramA Denied 6/1/04 12
ProgramB Denied 8/1/04 1

I have tried the following as array formulas and get either a #NUM! ("There
is a problem with a number in your formula"):
=index(G:G,match(A1&"Denied"&A2,D:D&E:E&F:F,0))

or #VALUE! error ("A value used in your formula is of the wrong data type"):
=index(G:G,match(A1*"Denied"*A2,D:D*E:E*F:F,0))

Any suggestions?