Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Starchaser

Default 2 Nesting questions

I am trying to help someone with some converting of data in Excel files
so they can be used in a db. She has long columns of names with first,
int., last, jr, and even (maiden names) - all in one cell. She has
Office 2000. I'm new to Excel, and it's been 8 years since I did any
macro writing in Lotus even, so I would appreciate any help.

When I write a formula, I find it is easier to do it in little pieces,
one formulae at a time. I want to be able to have one column with a
formulae in it and the next column or a separate window showing that
same formulae in text format. For example: =LEFT(A8,FIND(" ",A8)) in
one cell as a formula
and the same LEFT(A8,FIND(" ",A8)) in text, so that I can see both how
the actual formula works and how it is written.
I have searched here, but nothing comes up.

Second question: I have tried to paste one formula into another and
Excel 2000 isn't letting me. What am I not doing or doing wrong?

FYI,yYears ago, I used a nesting macro that allowed me to build up a
complex formula by putting each individual formulae on a separate line,
thus making sure that the individual formulae gave me the result that I
was looking for. Then the macro nested the formula into one another.
It was fast and easy to build VERY complex formula with it.
Unfortunately, it was in Lotus, and I have not been able to translate
it into Excel. Here's an example of one of those formula in one cell:
60*(@INT(Input Sheet:U12)+((@INT(((Input Sheet:U12-@INT(Input
Sheet:U12))*100))+((((Input Sheet:U12-@INT(Input
Sheet:U12))*100)-@INT(((Input Sheet:U12-@INT(Input
Sheet:U12))*100)))/0.6))/60)+(30*(@IF(Input Sheet:V12=1,12,Input
Sheet:V12-1)))) (In case you are wondering, it is part of a macro to
determine the new position of a star and in those days we had to
convert time input by the user into individual hours minutes and
seconds so they can be added and subtracted in a 24 hour clock.)

Anyway, thanks for your help

--
Starchaser
Starchaser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30649