Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

Post an example of your data and what result you expect.

Biff

"Ann" wrote in message
Thank you very much but =IF(A2=A1,B1,B1+1) did not work for me. Any other
suggestions?
Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Try this:

Assume your data is in the range A1:A500.

In B1 enter 1.

Enter this formula in B2 and copy down to B500:

=IF(A2=A1,B1,B1+1)

Biff

"Ann" wrote in message
I have 500 lines and would like to number each row, however some rows
contain
the same information 2 or more times, so I need to keep the numbering
in
sequence by repeating the same number where the rows contain the same
information.