Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default (Visually Appealing) Scientific Notation on the Y-Axis

What shows up in the legend are the category labels. So if the labels were
A, B, C, etc, the legend would show these. If no category labels are
specified, Excel uses the counting numbers.

I realize that this technique is incompatible with adding a dummy series for
the axis, so I guess your new question is intricately linked to the older
one in the thread.

Rather than relying on the legend for a label, you could apply data labels
to the column series, so that each point has a label. Excel lets you use
category labels or values, and with the help of a third party Excel add-in,
you could use any cell contents you wish. Here are a couple good, free
labeling utilities:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"nima" wrote in message

I dont see how I can label each point with a cell reference anymore. I
varied the colors by points as you said (and changed overlap to 0 to
make it look better). I have 1 series with the 6 data points. I named
the series as a 6 cell range that corresponds to the 6 data points. In
the legend it labels the colors '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6'. I guess I still
dont understand how I get the names for each data point into the
legend.
<quoteThis only works in charts with one
series.</quote
If I follow your tutorial for making scientific annotated axes, then I
have to add another series, so wouldn't it remove the legend entries?

thank you for your patience.
Sorry for not posting in a new thread-i am new to this.

--
nima
nima's Profile: