Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default Charting number of contacts a day

This is the Grouping feature I described in my last post. Here's another
example:

Dummy data:

Time
1/12/2006 10:20
1/12/2006 11:44
1/12/2006 13:08
1/12/2006 14:32
1/13/2006 10:20
1/13/2006 11:44
1/14/2006 10:20
1/14/2006 11:44
1/14/2006 13:08
1/14/2006 14:32
1/14/2006 15:56
1/14/2006 17:20
1/14/2006 18:44
1/14/2006 20:08
1/14/2006 21:32
1/14/2006 22:56

Make a pivot table, with the Time field in the Row area and in the Data
area:

Count of Time
Time Total
1/12/2006 10:20 1
1/12/2006 11:44 1
1/12/2006 13:08 1
1/12/2006 14:32 1
1/13/2006 10:20 1
1/13/2006 11:44 1
1/14/2006 10:20 1
1/14/2006 11:44 1
1/14/2006 13:08 1
1/14/2006 14:32 1
1/14/2006 15:56 1
1/14/2006 17:20 1
1/14/2006 18:44 1
1/14/2006 20:08 1
1/14/2006 21:32 1
1/14/2006 22:56 1
Grand Total 16

Right click on the Time field button, choose Group and Show Detail, then
choose Group. Unselect Months, and select Days:

Count of time
time Total
12-Jan 4
13-Jan 2
14-Jan 10
Grand Total 16

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm facing a similar problem, and Jon, I find a pivot table to get me
very close to where I want to be, except that, like Sean, I have a
dates field that looks like this:

1/12/06 10:20 AM
1/12/06 11:44 AM

So two entries for January 12th, but different times. Now I can format
the cells to show only the dates, but when I use a pivot chart, it sees
both those rows as different, and will create a total of 1 for 10:20 am
and one for 11:44 am. How do I get the pivot chart to ignore the time
and only pay attention to the date?