Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel 97 date diff

Hi there
I'm using Excel 97. No choice in the matter, the business is supposed
to be upgrading in a few months.

The spreadsheet is being used as a booking/scheduling system. Rooms
being booked for days at a time.

I've been reading through the archives on Google and some of the MVP
links to see if I can solve a problem. Lots of interesting stuff, but
I haven't found the answer yet.
Basically I want to print the month name in the row above another row
of dates. I only want to do this when the month changes.

This formula does work up to a point:
=IF(MONTH(E$2)-MONTH(D$2)0,TEXT(E$2,"MMM"),"")

The problem is the text is truncated to column width. The cell is set
up as general format. All cells are blank except those at the start of
the month. I had expected the left cell's contents to be seen up to
the point where was data in a cell to the right.

I tried
=IF(MONTH(E$2)-MONTH(D$2)0,TEXT(E$2,"MMM"))
which evalutates to FALSE, but due to narrow cell width, they are
displayed as #

Any comments or thoughts?
Thanks
-ao-