Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron de Bruin

Default Excel not Access

I add also a few examples on my site yesterday
Will add more soon

http://www.rondebruin.nl/accessexcel.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message ...
Are you familiar with SQL? If so, you could keep the Access database and use
ADO to retrive the data to Excel, and then do the report in Excel. The SQL
could be parameter driven to get the month or range of data required. Here
is an example of some Access data maintenance macros

Sub AddData()
Dim oConn As Object
Dim oRS As Object
Dim sSQL As String

Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
oConn.Open = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & "c:\bob.mdb"

sSQL = "INSERT INTO Contacts (FirstName, LastName,Phone, Notes) " & _
" VALUES ('Bob','Phillips','01202 345678','me')"
oConn.Execute sSQL

oConn.Close
Set oConn = Nothing
End Sub

Sub GetData()
Const adOpenForwardOnly As Long = 0
Const adLockReadOnly As Long = 1
Const adCmdText As Long = 1
Dim oRS As Object
Dim sConnect As String
Dim sSQL As String
Dim ary

sConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & "c:\bob.mdb"

sSQL = "SELECT * From Contacts"
Set oRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
oRS.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, _
adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

' Check to make sure we received data.
If Not oRS.EOF Then
ary = oRS.getrows
MsgBox ary(0, 0) & " " & ary(1, 0) & ", " & ary(2, 0)
Else
MsgBox "No records returned.", vbCritical
End If

oRS.Close
Set oRS = Nothing
End Sub

Sub UpdateData()
Const adOpenForwardOnly As Long = 0
Const adLockReadOnly As Long = 1
Const adCmdText As Long = 1
Dim oConn As Object
Dim oRS As Object
Dim sConnect As String
Dim sSQL As String
Dim ary

sConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & "c:\bob.mdb"

sSQL = "SELECT * From Contacts"
Set oRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
oRS.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, _
adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

' Check to make sure we received data.
If oRS.EOF Then
MsgBox "No records returned.", vbCritical
Else
sSQL = "UPDATE Contacts " & _
" SET Phone = 'None' " & _
"WHERE FirstName = 'Bob' AND LastNAme = 'Phillips'"
oRS.ActiveConnection.Execute sSQL

sSQL = "SELECT * From Contacts"
oRS.ActiveConnection.Execute sSQL
ary = oRS.getrows
MsgBox ary(0, 0) & " " & ary(1, 0) & ", " & ary(2, 0)
End If

oRS.Close
Set oRS = Nothing

HTH

RP
"fred" wrote in message
I have designed an Access database that holds records relating to my

stores
audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information
relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month,
however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this
and prodce a similar pack in Excel.

The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date

range
that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of

excel
templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would

be
grateful for any suggestions on what route to take.

Thanks