Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Default Change 1/2 to .5

You're welcome, glad you got it working, and thanks for the feedback...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jambruins" wrote:

nevermind, the substitute formula works great. Sorry for all the confusion
and thanks for all the help.

"CLR" wrote:

Thats a phoney reading based on both characters being in the
cell.........delete the integer and just look at the "1/2" character to see
what it is........

"Find and Replace" is good, but gets sticky with problems like this.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jambruins" wrote:

When I use the "code()" function it gives me 49 for 1½, 50 for 2½, etc. I
guess the replace command will work best here unless you have any other
ideas. Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

You might go get Chip Pearson's "CellView" Add-in and install it to find out
exactly what characters are in the cell, or use the "CODE()"
function.......... then modify the SUBSTITUTE formula to replace it, or
perhaps use Edit Replace to replace it.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jambruins" wrote:

CLR and Dave, they did not work either. I used the paste special command and
pasted the numbers in in html format. Would that be the problem? Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

Try this in a helper column and copied down................

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(189),".5")*1

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jambruins" wrote:

I have copied a bunch of data into a spreadsheet and column G has numbers in
it. Some of the numbers are in this format 5½, 6½, etc. Is there a way to
change the 5½ to 5.5 and 6½ to 6.5, etc.? Thanks.