Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

Default Sluggish System

Hm. Tough one. :)
See if these articles help:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/h...hard_drive.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Scubasocks" wrote in message
Just yesterday my system began slowing down on me! (I run XP professional
on
a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop). When I click on the FILESAVE AS menu and
then
attempt to double click or use the drop-down arrow in the SAVE IN line, I
get
a "(Not Responding)" added to the SAVE AS window headline. But if I am
patient - say 30 seconds to one minute, the "(Not Responding)" words go
away
and the drop down menu finally appears and allows me to specify where I
want
to save the file. But it may take just as long again to actually open
that
file to save my work to. Similar slow downs in Excel are occurring when I
just want to open a file. The "(Not Responding)" words get added to the
OPEN
headline when I want to use the double-click or drop down menu in the LOOK
IN
line of that window. Are my files suddenly so big or have cells linked to
other spreadsheet data cells that update as needed that they are slowing
everything down? (I should think not.) How can I correct this so that
the
files open within just a second or so of clicking on the file or location
want, as was the case before yesterday? By the way, I haven't done
anything
but add a new printer driver and a network card to my laptop about a week
ago. But everything had been working fine until just yesterday?!? Will
appreciate all offers of assistance. Thanks!