Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Govind

Default reformulating question regarding maximum value

Hi,

Lets say your range is between cells A1 to H3,
Use

=INDEX($A$1:$H$3,1,MATCH(LARGE($A$2:$H$2,2),$A$2:$ H$2,0)) to get the
value of second largest value in Row 2 and to return the corresponding
vlaue in Row 1

use

=INDEX($A$1:$H$3,1,MATCH(LARGE($A$3:$H$3,2),$A$3:$ H$3,0))

to get the value of second largest value in Row 3 and to return the
corresponding value in Row 1

Regards

Govind.

Frank Drost wrote:

I had an hour ago put a question up named "find maximum", but I had not
formulated my query fully, hence this query.

In each row, I want to find the second highest value in that row, and then
as output give the value of that cell in the first row.
For example:

1 2 6 8 6 5 4 3
2 4 5 6 3 2 3 8
6 4 5 3 7 2 3 1

The second largest value in the second row is nr 6. It is in the fourht cell
of that row. The fourth cell of the first row is the value 8. This should be
the output for the second row.
The second largest value in the third row is the number 6. It is in the
first cell of that row. The first cell of the first row has the value 1. This
should be the output for the third row.

I assume that such a thing needs to be set up with conditional formatting.
Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

Regards,