Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nikki

Default find maximum

if 0 is located in A7 then:
click in A7
go to:
format---conditional formatting--cell formula is--=RANK(A7,$A$7:$J$7,0)=2

click on formatt--pattern --change to highlight different color--OK

Copy and special paste the formatting to all other cells (B7 to J7), 7 is
highlighted now.

Hope this help.

Nikki
"Frank Drost" wrote:

In a table, I need to find for each row the second largest value. Undoubtedly
this can be done with conditional formatting, but I don't know how. Something
like find maximum for a range of cells as long no cell is the maximum of that
row, right? For instance, the following row has:
0 2 4 5 3 7 8 3 2 6
I want to have as answer nr 7 (8 is maximum, 7 is next highest)

does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks