Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Julie Willems

Default How to keep "text" number from changing to date....

I have copied and pasted numbers from a source on the internet into a column.
Some appear to be formatted as numbers, some are formatted as text. When I
reformat using Data and Text to Columns to organize them and get rid of extra
spaces, any multiple numbers less than 31 with a dash in between them change
to dates, and then if I reformat cells to text it changes the dates to a five
digit number. Here is one example... 4-27 changes to Apr 27, then to 38824.

I have thousands of these. I've been entering '4-27 to keep the number as
text. This takes forever. There must be an easier way to do the entire
column. Please help.